EQ Cleric Forums  

Go Back   EQ Cleric Forums > Chit Chat and Gossip > General
User Name
Password
Forums Donations Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
concernedeq

Update on plat dupe issue

Happy New Year, and another update for you all.

I?ve obviously been keeping after this issue and I?m sad to say that it has not stopped, but gotten increasingly worse since I last posted.

A second exploit was discovered and fixed since my posting, which involved ornate rogue pants, summon poison (no drop no sale) combine with tradeskill seal, and get back a poison that sold to vendors for around 275 plat. Since this could be summoned per 15 seconds, that?s 275 plat x 4 per minute, or about 1.5 million platinum per day. This is when run with a macro of course.

This required a level 46 rogue and ornate pants with poison skill. Something which could be made up in a couple of days.

Though this fix seemed to stop the problems for a few days, they resurfaced which lends credibility to the fact that there is indeed another exploit out there not yet discovered and fixed.

Price dropped again at the beginning of January, marking now the seventh price drop in 3 months. Buy prices for the main player in the market dropped down to $13 per 100k on most servers and they are the ONLY reseller who buys platinum, and sell prices have dropped an average of $5 per 100k over the past two weeks. This is a 20% drop in just two weeks. 100% drop over a 6 week timeframe.

From some of these guys you can now purchase platinum for $150 per million with a small amount of haggling. If it continues to drop at the rate it is going, $50 per million is about two months away at the worst case, four I?d guess at best. Also the amount of platinum for sale has skyrocketed, going from suppliers having totals of about 4 million, to most servers having 20 to 30 million for sale at a time just since my last posting.

It takes time for the effects of this to be felt in game, but each expansion there usually are more and more platinum drains put into the game because of activity such as this. Who pays? The players do, not the exploiters. The exploiters walk off to the bank with a $25,000 weekly check, while the players have to dig up more and more plat for their tradeskills or quest armor, or, as the exploiters would love, have to buy from the exploiters as it becomes the only reasonable source of platinum.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
Keyera
Battle Cleric

Keyera is an unknown quantity at this point
glad i raid and don't need to buy from bazaar.

tradeskills, post what ya need on guild forums, and as guildies aquire it, they place in guild bank.

to me the sale of platnum is a non issue.

ALSO there is a TON of cheap used to be uber (uber to me when i was just starting) gear for low lvl toons. the only things i see that could hurt someone is the price of spells, and, those can be made now, /shrug

as far as buying high end gear, that is just for twinks, and they mostly have tons of pp anyway.

it amazes me that you take so much time to worry about this ;-P

IMO
Drinal
Keyera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Lenara

Lenara
I would think posting something like this on the sony boards would be more productive.

Btw you need to be 55 to even get ornate.
Lenara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:26 PM   #4
Pomaikai
The MC

Pomaikai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyera
glad i raid and don't need to buy from bazaar.

tradeskills, post what ya need on guild forums, and as guildies aquire it, they place in guild bank.

to me the sale of platnum is a non issue.

ALSO there is a TON of cheap used to be uber (uber to me when i was just starting) gear for low lvl toons. the only things i see that could hurt someone is the price of spells, and, those can be made now, /shrug

as far as buying high end gear, that is just for twinks, and they mostly have tons of pp anyway.

it amazes me that you take so much time to worry about this ;-P

IMO
The problem is to most folks it's a big issue. Those of us who are finally able to farm gear that we would sell to have plenty of plat for twinks as you put it, are not able too. Those who have been in the upper tier for a long period of time already have a lot of plat from before these issues surfaced, but for the average non-raiding player trying to equip themselves in the best possible gear they can afford, these server economy breaking exploits are horrific. Again, I would point out that this is another area of disconnect between the raiders and non-raiders. It's like someone who makes $150,000 a year saying that the price of Starbucks coffee isn't an issue to them, but to Joe Sixpack making $6.00 an hour, that $5.00 cup of coffee is almost an hours worth of work. It's all a matter a perspective, and we need to not lose sight of that.

Before I became a raider I was in a small family guild. I made sure that I was decked out in the best gear I could get my hands on, and the only way to achieve that was by working the Bazaar on a regular basis. This wasn't a case of going to bed at night with your toon parked in the Bazaar overnight while you slept, but spending hours upon hours in /auc and the server wide auction channel selling, haggling, trading, and buying gear so you could afford to upgrade a piece of your own gear. I joined a raiding guild a little while after the original bank plat duping exploit, and I can tell you the effects were unreal when it came to being able to support your toon's upgrades via the Bazaar. The prices on items was all over the map. The bottom fell out of market on some things, and on others became prohibitively expensive. As a raider now, I rarely even go to the bazaar, but I can still vividly remember the other side of the coin...
Infinite Alliance
Quote:
Capitalization is the difference between "Helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" and "helping your Uncle jack off a horse"
Pomaikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #5
Keyera
Battle Cleric

Keyera is an unknown quantity at this point
heh

i remember farming ToFS everynight for weeks to get full cultural armor.

and maybe servers are diferent, but that stuff is now CHEAPER then when i farmed for it. i mean geez, a earing of solstace now is 3.5 k full kit, i paid around 10k for mine.

the only things i see that are stupid expensive are the twink items, like the FT3 dropable boots are still very expensive (CT), toys like AoN are stupid expensive. ALL ornate is a fraction of the price i used to see for molds, they are so cheap that i stopped farming for them because there is no sense, it isn't worth it any longer.

but yeah, if ya want to deck your twink out in the super uber stuff, yeah, is expensive. but if you want gear that you should be wearing anyway, i don't see the problem.

like if ya want to put the FT 3 Kael boots (or helm) you better expect to pay around 100k (white dragon scale) or barbarian skin leggs on your monk, your going to pay, or a fungi.

but if your complaining that that stuff cost more because of dupping your wrong, it has always been expensive. and at least on drinal the prices have all remained around the same.

like i said before, there is a TON of great gear for lobies that is dirt cheap.

i have not lost sight, but you also have to be realistic when equiping a twink. there has ALWAYS been those few items that are sooo nice, work on a lvl 1, thats why they cost so much!

lvl resticted gear is dirt cheap.

trade skill items still seem around the same as well, pieces of velium still around 30-50 pp each, the ones that i have saw skyrocket are the LDoN tempers, but that is expected as the demand is high but the supply is low, no one is doing LDoN like they used to be done.

heh things like dark ember, and gauntlets of the black, acrylia studded cloak, were ALL twink gear, now no one buys that stuff, is sad, because thats all ya needed, or need. now sure, ya want the best, ya going to pay.
Drinal
Keyera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:57 AM   #6
Tundar
Ragefire camper

Tundar is on a distinguished road
Please explain to me why I should be concerned about the ration between pp and $?

But just to clear things up; I have no love for platsellers nor dupers.
Tundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:12 AM   #7
kalrie

I don't think the point is that you personally should care about the exchange rate, but that the drop in $/pp indicates a flood of platinum.

It's low, sure, but I'm not convinced its an exploit fueling that. A daily $5/100k fluctuation is pretty normal around the high end of their buying price, and its dropped in the past when people have suddenly unloaded plat. I wouldn't be shocked to learn that there were students home over break or adults with Christmas bills, "legitimately" farming plat or items 18 hours a day to make some extra cash. For me, it would need to continue, consistently, to drop below their previous baseline price for me to worry about a new cheat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: