EQ Cleric Forums  

Go Back   EQ Cleric Forums > Chit Chat and Gossip > General
User Name
Password
Forums Donations Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2006, 05:45 PM   #31
Discombobulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulweaver
Well for what its worth, despite being down to my last 100pp, this thread has made up my mind on plat vendors. I was very tempted to buy some, as Im rather behind on kit and in desperate need of upgrades. However its very apparrent that buying a couple 100k will make very little difference to me due to EQflation, but will continue to chip away at the value of the plat and make things worse for everyone.

So I've pledged to rely only on myself, if I need something Ill do my best to earn the item.

EQ is like real life, the rich get richer the poor stay poor, however we have the luxury in EQ of being able to manage without PP if we really need to. Something Im going to try and do.
Yet if you work hard and are careful about investments and so forth you can have a comfortible retirement. Some even retire a millionaire.

Either way good for you man! Another aspect is how significant aa's are to Everquest. For example getting tier 1 don done grants 10 to all stats, tier 2 emoush 200 mana. AA's and small raids really help.

Fableds are comming up soon too, that's about a month of farming should net a ton of gear too.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:39 PM   #32
Menleniel
Exarch

Menleniel is on a distinguished road
You know, a really paranoid conspiracy theorist would think, given that these dupes never seem to all get fixed, that soe and the plat guys have a little something going on. Hmmmm.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:04 AM   #33
concernedeq

For what it is worth I don't think SOE is "in" on whatever is going on. I don't think they are acting fast enough to lock it down, but I don't think they are a part of it either.

And I know my postings have been met with some skepticism but I wanted to point out that as of tonight, platinum buy price for the resellers has dropped from $20 per 100k down to $10 per 100k, and the only one even buying is the biggest one of them all, who I am sure without mention most know who that is.

I had originally guessed about 6 weeks or more for it to hit $5 per 100k, but since it has already hit $10 per 100k and I certainly didn't expect that until the middle of next month, I'd guess there are less than a few weeks left before it hits $5 per 100k. It will go lower, too, if it is allowed to remain.

When you consider 6 weeks ago buy price was $35 per 100k, you can see that over a 6 week period a reduction of such magnitude is huge.

I'd guess 2 more weeks before the next drop, be it to $7.50 or $5.00.

I also received an email from the largest seller's vendor accounts department in which they indicated there is in fact some sort of exploit out there making this platinum. I passed this info on to SOE as I have been passing everything on up until now. I just worry that they don't take it seriously, like some who see me say I have sold plat before, and brush off the rest of the post.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:10 PM   #34
Discombobulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menleniel
You know, a really paranoid conspiracy theorist would think, given that these dupes never seem to all get fixed, that soe and the plat guys have a little something going on. Hmmmm.
/auction WTS Tin Foil Hats
Old 01-17-2006, 11:29 PM   #35
Menleniel
Exarch

Menleniel is on a distinguished road
Tin hats? Wtf? I wear a genuine Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie. Gotta have the real thing

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/
Old 01-18-2006, 11:31 AM   #36
Hurk
Ext Target Guru

Hurk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
EQ is like real life, the rich get richer the poor stay poor, however we have the luxury in EQ of being able to manage without PP if we really need to. Something Im going to try and do.
Sorry for the derail, but niether is true. I make about 3 times as much as my parents did.. I am rich, they were considered desprately poor. most of my brothers are considered at least upper middle class as well, out of a family of 7 children, only 2 really failed at life. (one to drugs and one to the life of a welfare mom)

you are what you make of yourself. The same is true in EQ.. I didnt make a million plat by starting with it.. I earned it. You have to play with the goal to accumulate wealth, not for anything else... learn where cash is, what big ticket items are, how to equip yourself with "seconds" in the bazaar instead of the best, and so on. It took about a year to earn that money, and if I really wanted I could now double it every month in the bazaar trading.. so yes, its easier to invest money to make money, than it is to earn money, but you can always just earn money.
In practice,
there is
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:46 PM   #37
renaden

Quote:
you are what you make of yourself. The same is true in EQ.. I didnt make a million plat by starting with it.. I earned it. You have to play with the goal to accumulate wealth,
that is true, eq is pretty unique among rpg's in that you wont actually accumulate much pp unless you are actually going out of your way to.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:36 AM   #38
Soulweaver
Part time Evil Overlord

Soulweaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk
Sorry for the derail, but niether is true. I make about 3 times as much as my parents did.. I am rich, they were considered desprately poor.
Strangely I earn 3 times what my parents do too... I wasnt talking in specific individual terms, just in a worldwide sense. As the real world population increases there are more people, in life there is only so much money to go around at any one point, things take time to adjust and small changes can have big impacts elsewhere, just like this duped pp issue.

I work with people from India and yes they are expanding their ecomony is booming, there are people who earn amounts they could only dream of previously but there are far more who are standing still and still earning a pittance and if that pittance doesnt keep up with inflation they are in fact poorer. To them those IT workers are rich and yet they all earn far less than me even the ones far more skilled than me. Those big earners are also in a minority at the moment.

However you cannot detest that worldwide the population of people on or below the breadline has increased along with populations. Yeah its most developing countries, but its still out there.

In EQ the amount of money in the economy increases all the time.

You have made another really good point though, EQ is really about how much time you spend on it. If you can afford to play daily you can invest that time to make, money level/AA or raid exciting places.

As the Ren says the problem is that unless you go out of your way to make pp (these days at least you wont). Thats where the problem with duping lies, those who dont or cant invest as much time to fill their coffers are often tempted by buying plat (I know I have been tempted) to buy things would struggle to otherwise.
Soulweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:24 PM   #39
Benadar

Benadar
Send a message via ICQ to Benadar
I used to play EQ many, many years ago (I landed here from a link on Shacknews), and I'd play for a year or so, sell my account with everything, and start over again. I got $1000 for the first, $1150 for the second, and something fairly small (<$100) for the third and last. It was a lot for me back then (I started playing when I was 15). The $/hour was crap, but I played for fun, not the money.

The EQonimy was poorly designed from a gameplay point-of-view. Playing a new character, untwinked, was never fun. That's one (of very many) reasons why World of Warcraft is so much better. EQ is for masochists! (Yeah, I guess I was one for a while ).

(PS: sig is a few years out of date, hehe)
(PPS: damn, this forum account is from the year 1999! o_O)
Benadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:54 AM   #40
Soulweaver
Part time Evil Overlord

Soulweaver
Funnily enough from my limited experience of WoW the economy is well thought out, the trade skills and the way you learn skills as you level is all designed to maintain the economy and limit inflation.

After playing wow for a little while its easy to see what EQ has "borrowed", and also to see what WoW learned from EQ when they designed it.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #41
Hurk
Ext Target Guru

Quote:
Funnily enough from my limited experience of WoW the economy is well thought out, the trade skills and the way you learn skills as you level is all designed to maintain the economy and limit inflation.

After playing wow for a little while its easy to see what EQ has "borrowed", and also to see what WoW learned from EQ when they designed it.
When i play wow, the one thing i notice is that players, not farmers, control the market.

Because you have to actively buy and sell, and not simply dump everything on a bazaar mule or setup want to buy scripts, the amuont of effort into trading is rather high. Also, money itself, even with the few hacks that exist in game, is still not common.

In WoW I was a armorsmith. Me and one other person made 95% of all auction house purchased armor. I made enchanted thorium, he made a few rarer items that he won the bids on. We both were steady and full time players in the market, as were a few friends who were weaponsmiths.

What I noticed, is that farmers would sell the purple world drops, and not be willing to really lower their prices... they wanted 900g for the same item, every time it went up, yet people who were not noted farmers would undercut them. Eventually certian items would collapse in value... the darkmoon fair books being a good example... I purchased my first for 600g and resold it for 1000g. The second 400g, and resold at 1000. the third for 450g, and could not resell it. the market is now 400-550g. (mostly in reaction to the patch notes that aces would drop more commonly)

but in all that, at any time, i could have purchased every deck for sale, and set the prices at 1000g. I just didnt feel like "working" that market.

the enchanted thorium? costs about 300g to make, sold for 400 to 600 gold. Sometimes takes a day or two to get enough matierials to make it though.

WoW, even with farmers and some very uncommon exploits, is still 100% player economy. Farmers just arent making any kind of real impact. If anything, they are making goods avalible that otherwise would be more rare and more expensive.
In practice,
there is
Old 01-25-2006, 12:31 AM   #42
Valoria

How old is WoW and how old is EverQuest? Original EQ did not have many farmer compared to today.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:38 PM   #43
Hurk
Ext Target Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valoria
How old is WoW and how old is EverQuest? Original EQ did not have many farmer compared to today.
the diffrence is largely how money is made though.

EQ had a noticeable point where the first major cash bug happened (the banker in befallen). From the day before that started, the most expensive item was about 300k, and common items like planar armor was 5 to 40k. After 2 weeks, the prices were 900k for the best items, and planar patterns were now 20k to 400k.

After that time, the market has stayed higher because all that coin was artificial and money does not leave the economy faster than it enters.

WoW hasnt had any break out bugs like that yet... yes there are bugs, but they are hard to reproduce and very unknown. So they do not get exploited like the open secret that was "walk in double money, walk out"
In practice,
there is
Old 01-26-2006, 10:26 AM   #44
egras

Why is this post still alive?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:23 PM   #45
Soulweaver
Part time Evil Overlord

Soulweaver
Because people are still talking?