EQ Cleric Forums  

Go Back   EQ Cleric Forums > Chit Chat and Gossip > General
User Name
Password
Forums Donations Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2003, 08:53 PM   #1
Ageous

Ageous
Armor Dye. Good or Bad?

What do you think, are armor dies good for the game, or bad?

My personal opinion is they are a disservice to the game. You used to be able to tell a lot about a character by whay they looked like. Additionally there are so many items in EQ, there was a lot of individuality, even though you couldn't change the colors. Now all you can see is plate, chain, leather, cloth and that's it. Instead of being more individual I tend to think it makes everyone look the same. After all you used to be able to tell more by looking at someone than you can now.
Ageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 09:07 PM   #2
nimbleone

nimbleone
IMO, it's too soon to tell. True, there are lots of rainbow/pink/gaudy selections running around today, but hopefully people will settle down eventually. Just like in real life, take some pride in how you look =)

I think dyes are best though when you already have mismatched armor. When I was a twink cleric *ahem*, I had treeweave tunic, sebilite scale legs, black arms and gloves, silver hat, golden cleric bracers and boots. Maybe making my armor all black, while a boring unoriginal color, would have made me look a tad better. hehe.
nimbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 09:10 PM   #3
Ycuzz
Papa Preach

Ycuzz
I see your point and agree with you.

Individuality is loosing on all points. Classes, some of them at least, are closer to each other than they have ever been. Now it goes for appearance also. Guess it is Everquest evolving..

Then again I shouldn't talk to loud against it. Since I just dyed my robe. But for heavens sake, it was pink!
Dawn

Rallos Zek

Yes, yes.. crazy outdated ..
Ycuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 09:20 PM   #4
Ceridwen
Old School

Ceridwen
I like it. I get to look the way I want finally, and pullers can look all goofy so we can find them now!

I don't see how it is in any way a disservice to the game, no one knew what my stuff was by looking at it anyways. Hell most people didn't know even after inspecting me
Old 02-26-2003, 09:57 PM   #5
Divinity Reigns

*laughing*
I'm THRILLED!
I no longer look like I got dressed in the dark.....
Old 02-26-2003, 11:07 PM   #6
Camien
Exemplar of Innoruuk

Camien
Send a message via AIM to Camien Send a message via Yahoo to Camien
It's the worst thing the designers of EQ could ever have put in the game. Today, I got to see a druid in purple chain, a pink pally, a pink warrior, our MA's are all wearing blue, and we have a green bard. STUPID OMFG.
Warlord Drappus Ta`Mire the Enraged
Valiant Milander Truewield of the Daybringers
Earthkeeper Azer Stormseeker the Adventurous
Ne Cede Malice - Erollisi Marr

(Insert witty saying here.
Camien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 03:20 AM   #7
Trentazra
Fashion Cleric

Trentazra is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Trentazra Send a message via AIM to Trentazra
I absolutely love it!

No more clown armor!! Well, at least not on ME! The rest of the server, however...
Trentazra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 03:21 AM   #8
Elrin Lifeforger

Elrin Lifeforger
Time will tell....
I was never a fan of hotch potch coloured armour but neither am i of hot pink trolls.
Im hoping the people who have these ridiculous colour schemes get as sick of them as everybody is else.
Me? I went from all blue SS to a subtle set of goldy coloured armour and im very happy with the result.
Xenosis
Terris Thule
Elrin Lifeforger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 03:23 AM   #9
JanSorensen
Fighting misinformation

JanSorensen is on a distinguished road
Just add a /dye off option and everyone should be happy.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:02 AM   #10
Sherazade
Swiss Miss

Sherazade
Send a message via ICQ to Sherazade Send a message via Skype™ to Sherazade
yeah I would be happy to have an option like /ignore XY that would make /ignoredye XY or /makelookblackwhite XY
Sherazade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 05:23 AM   #11
naxy
Cleric Unhinged

naxy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You used to be able to tell a lot about a character by whay they looked like.
So now when you can't look at me and see that I "only" have a barney BP you have lost out the ability to judge, at a quick glance, whether I am uber or just pathetic?
Old 02-27-2003, 06:08 AM   #12
Syraxen
WTF is a Prelate anyway?

Syraxen is on a distinguished road
I think they are great, you can look however you want and express your creativeness in eq at last

As far as not being able to walk up to a cleric and think ah he's wearing akirus gear or thurg armour or an EDT thats not so bad, you can still always inspect them if you really are that nosey about what they have under all that pink and bright green dye

Remember, dont judge a book by its cover.....
Syraxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 08:03 AM   #13
Bombil
The Cherry Archon

Bombil
A guildy of mine said it far more eloquently than I could:
Quote:
Adding this dye functionality to EQ smacks of an attempt by SOE to milk the cash cow dry before they close down the farm.

Everyone will want to dye their armor, but the ability to look somewhat unique has been greatly cheapened. An entire element of gear decisions has been removed. There will be no more "Sure, that robe has better stats - but I can not STAND to be seen in that color". Or "I REALLY want to finish out my set of Skyshrine quest armor - just for the matching look". Or even "Wow, I have never seen armor that color, where did you get it?".

Also, the ability to quickly judge a player's class/level and time invested in the game at a glance has been greatly diminished.

SOE may claim that they have given all players the ability to look unique, but in reality they have removed all uniqueness from player appearances now.

I was at least hoping that dyes would require rare drops and extensive tradeskill work, like Planar smithing. I expected certain dye colors would be common, and other dye colors would be rare and hard to obtain. I never dreamed any player could change the color of every bit of their gear to anything for a few hundred plat.

Of course, there is no avoiding it. Ximix's mismatched set of chain armor can now be any color I want. Murdan's ugly black and pink robe already looks much better stained dark blue. I can cross off from my to-do list "Look for a robe for Murdan with equal or better stats but a less hideous appearance". Marcelous's full suit of Cazic-Thule Blood Red Leather gear is no longer going to impress anyone.

I think these dyes have killed more than a little bit of the magic of EQ.
Bombil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 08:43 AM   #14
Velisaris
Bishop of Bible Thumping

Velisaris is on a distinguished road
If you like gimmicks/toys to play with (like our hammers), then you're probably loving the armor dyes and all the fashion zombies it's creating.

However, if you're immune to the "Look...cows!" distraction technique that SOE is a master of, then the dyes probably mean jack crap to you. I personally could care less about it, although I'll probably dye my armor too...at some point when I'm bored enough and because of the fact that I'm a tradeskill junky.

I personally see it as a way for SOE to distract players for a little while, making us forget about some of the important things...like class balance.
--------------------------------------
"I came...I saw...I got bored and cancelled my account."
My new obsession
Velisaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 08:57 AM   #15
Aristablillio

I personally hate the new dyes. On my first character (ranger), I proudly displayed my full suit of butt ugly SS armor. It may have been the color of poo, but it was unique and was a bit of a status symbol. Today I saw a ranger in rygorr/random chain stuff that was dyed the same color as the SS armor; I couldnt help but feel that the SS armor was cheapened. I agree with the suggestion that there should be a /dye off option.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: